In minimal music an important goal is to create a different sense of time in music, to create an open space, an illusion of constant present, without cause and effect.
Challenges for the performers:
1) Duration: singing requires different technique, more physical stamina.
2) Concentration: because of repeats difficult to keep track of the score.
3) Rythmic exactness: music needs to be perceived by the listener as pure sound-events.
- Nighttrain en Kneeplay 3 (from Einstein on the Beach)
- Parts from Another Look at Harmony IV